The division of Interventional Radiology is well equipped with all modalities in performing various image guided minimally invasive procedures both for diagnosis and therapeutic purposes.
Scope of Services Provided:
- Interventional Radiology outpatient clinic with consultation and procedures on all weekdays
- Cross consultation with other departments in procedural planning.
- 24 Hours emergency Interventional Radiology Services.
The following listed vascular and non vascular Interventional procedures are undertaken
- Aspiration/ Percutaneous Catheter Drainage (PCD)
- Percutaneous Transhepatic Biliary Drainage (PTBD)
- Trans Arterial Chemoembolization (TACE)
- Embolisation and Coiling (Bronchial, GI Bleed, Uterine, Traumatic, Intracranial)
- Angioplasty/ Thrombolysis (GI, Peripheral)
- Stenting (Biliary, Ureteric and Vascular)
- Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA) in HCC, RCC, Lung and Bone Tumours
- Varicose vein ablation and Injection Sclerotherapy
- Hepatic Venous Pressure Gradient Estimation (HVPG)
- Transjugular Liver Biopsy (TJLB)
- Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS)
- Balloon-Occluded Retrograde Transvenous Obliteration (BRTO) of Gastric Varices
These highly sophisticated procedures are part of our department’s commitment to offer the best care and technology for patient and fellow physicians in treatment of liver, biliary and pancreatic disorders. These procedures require high expertise and are being performed at meagre number of institutes across the country.
Division of Interventional Radiology at Caritas Hospital has successfully initiated the first and highest number of the Trans jugular Intra hepatic Porto systemic Shunt (TIPS) procedures in patients with liver cirrhosis in the entire state of Kerala. A total of 11 procedures were performed in the year 2016, out of which 2 were performed on an emergency basis as a life saving procedure to arrest catastrophic upper GI bleed from gastro esophageal varices.
|Aspiration/ Percutaneous Catheter Drainage (PCD), Percutaneous cholecystostomy (PCS), Percutaneous nephrostomy (PCN)||145|
|Percutaneous Transhepatic Biliary Drainage (PTBD) + rendezvous||37|
|Trans Arterial Chemoembolization (TACE)||20|
|Embolisation and Coiling (Bronchial, GI Bleed, liver, spleen, Uterine, Traumatic, Intracranial)||26|
|Angioplasty/ Thrombolysis (GI, Peripheral, Intracranial)||5|
|Stenting (Biliary, Ureteric and Vascular)||22|
|Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA) in HCC, RCC, Lung and Bone Tumours||16|
|Varicose vein ablation and Injection Sclerotherapy||17|
|Hepatic Venous Pressure Gradient Estimation (HVPG)||21|
|Transjugular Liver Biopsy (TJLB)||2|
|Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS) + TIPS revisoin||12|
|Others (PAIR, Alcohol injection, Epidural steroid injection, Celiac plexus block, percutaneous glue injection, PICC line insertion, Dialysis fistula angioplasty||17|
IR Help desk
Interventional Radiology department operates an “IR Help Desk” on all working days from 9 AM to 5 PM. It provides support to patients from admission to discharge in the following aspects.
Coordinate appointments, Consultation and Pre procedural work up.
Coordinate admission procedures including room booking and financial counseling.
Facilitate speedy discharge process.
Provides for online correspondence for any information related to IR services
All patients are required to carry reports of any previous investigation or scans including films/ CD of USG, CT, MRI, PET CT or Mammogram during consultation.
OPD extension no – 5559, Mob – 9497713594, email – email@example.com
Dr. SOMSHARAN SHANKERAPPA BETGERI DMRD, DNB (Radiodiagnosis), MNAMS, PDCC (HPB Interventional Radiology)
- MBBS from Mahadevappa Rampure Medical College, Kalaburagi (RGUHS, Bangalore)
- DMRD from IPGMER and SSKM Hospital, Kolkata (WBUHS, West bengal)
- DNB Radiodiagnosis from MIMS Kozhikode (National board of Examinations, New Delhi)
- PDCC in Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Interventional Radiology from Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (ILBS), New Delhi (Deemed Medical University)
- MNAMS from National Academy of Medical Sciences New Delhi
- Successfully initiated the first and highest number of the Trans jugular Intra hepatic Porto systemic Shunt (TIPS) procedures in patients with liver cirrhosis in Kerala.
- Post doctorate Certificate course in HPB Interventional Radiology from ILBS, New Delhi
- Senior Resident in Department of Radiology at ILBS, New Delhi
- Consultant Interventional Radiologist at Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut
- Consultant Interventional Radiologist at Caritas Hospital, Kottayam
- Liver Cirrhosis and Portal hypertension
- Liver Transplantation ( both DDLT & LDLT program)
- Hepatocellular carcinoma, Gall Bladder and Biliary malignancies